Advancing Equity for all Racial Groups through the Governmental Use of Racial Equity Tools
August 17, 2023 | 1 – 2:30 p.m. ET
Legal and policy decisions shape the way people experience everyday life and can bolster the conditions needed for people to thrive. However, they can also create and maintain inequities in health, economic, and social outcomes. One key strategy for advancing equal opportunity and addressing inequities in health outcomes is to intentionally evaluate laws and policies to understand their impact on different racial groups. In this webinar, participants will learn how equity tools can be used to assess the development, implementation, and evaluation of laws, policies, programs, and budgets to advance equal opportunity and address inequities.
By attending this webinar, you will:
- Obtain an overview of the use of racial equity tools in government agencies to normalize conversations about race, operationalize new behaviors and policies, advance equal opportunity, and organize to achieve racial equity.
- Learn about three equity tools, including the Network’s updated Micro-Toolkit: Equity Assessment Framework for Public Health Laws and Policies; the HEDA: Conducting a Health Equity Data Analysis from the Minnesota Department of Health; and the 2024 Equity in Budgeting Playbook from the Port of Seattle’s Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
- Understand how to apply or adapt these tools for use in your own organizations.
- Dawn Hunter, J.D, M.P.H., Director, Health Equity, Network for Public Health Law
- Ruqaiijah Yearby, J.D., M.P.H., Kara J. Trott Professor in Health Law, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University
- Crystal N. Lewis, J.D., M.P.H., Public Health Law and Policy Analyst, The Ohio State University
- Phyllis Jeden, J.D., Senior Attorney, Health Equity, Network for Public Health Law
- Jeannette Raymond, Assistant Director, Center for Public Health Practice, Minnesota Department of Health
- Bookda Gheisar, Master’s Degree in Social Work and Social Policy; Senior Director, Port of Seattle Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion