- Lauren Weber and Anna Maria Barry-Jester, More than Half of States Have Rolled Back Public Health Powers in Pandemic, Kaiser Health News and AP (September 15, 2021).. Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://khn.org/news/article/over-half-of-states-have-rolled-back-public-health-powers-in-pandemic/.
- Local Solutions Support Center, 2021: A Session Like No Other. Accessed on October 4, 2021, at https://www.supportdemocracy.org/the-latest/a-session-like-no-other-an-overview-of-2021s-unprecedented-wave-of-state-preemption-bills.
Legal Analyses of Threats to Public Health Authority
- Network for Public Health Law and National Association of County and City Health Officials, Proposed Limits on Public Health Authority: Dangerous for Public Health, (May 2021). Accessed September 20, 2021 at https://www.networkforphl.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Proposed-Limits-on-Public-Health-Authority-Dangerous-for-Public-Health-FINAL.pdf.
- Gregory Sunshine, et al., An Assessment of State Laws Providing Gubernatorial Authority to Remove Legal Barriers to Emergency Response, Health Secur. (2019). Accessed on October 4, 2021 at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6476686/pdf/nihms-1022447.pdf.
- Hodge, James G. and Piatt, Jennifer and Barraza, Leila, Legal Interventions to Counter COVID-19 Denialism (August 25, 2021). Hodge JG, Piatt JL, Barraza L, Legal interventions to counter COVID-19 denialism, Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics (Forthcoming), Accessed September 28, 2021 at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3911198 .
- Lindsay F. Wiley, Public Health Emergency Reform is Coming—These Six Principles Should Guide It, Health Affairs blog, January 12, 2021. Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20210105.516753/full/ .
- Lindsay F. Wiley, Democratizing the Law of Social Distancing, Yale Journal of Health Law, Policy, and Ethics (2020). Accessed on September 28, 2021 at https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/yjhple/vol19/iss3/2/.
- Michael R. Fraser et al., Variation Among Public Health Interventions in Initial Efforts to Prevent and Control the Spread of COVID-19 in the 50 States, 29 Big Cities, and the District of Columbia, Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (Jan./Feb. 2021). Accessed October 4, 2021 at https://debeaumont.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Variation-Among-Public-Health-Interventions-in-Initial-Efforts-to-Prevent-and-Control-the-Spread-of-COVID-19-in-the-50-States-29-Big-Cities-and-the-District-of-Columbia.pdf.
- Michelle Mello and Wendy Parmet, Public Health Law After COVID-19, New England Journal of Medicine, (Sept. 2021). Accessed on October 4, 2021 at https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2112193 .
- Network for Public Health Law, Strengthening Public Health Authority to Contain and Prevent Communicable Disease, (June, 2021). Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://www.networkforphl.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2021-Strengthening-Public-Health-Authority-to-Contain-and-Prevent-Communicable-Disease.pdf.
- Scott Burris et al., The “Legal Epidemiology” of Pandemic Control, New England Journal of Medicine, (May 2021). Accessed on October 4, 2021 at https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2103380.
- Burris, S., de Guia, S., Gable, L., Levin, D.E., Parmet, W.E., Terry, N.P. (Eds.) (2021). COVID-19 Policy Playbook: Legal Recommendations for a Safer, More Equitable Future. Boston: Public Health Law Watch.
- U.S. House of Representatives Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis at https://coronavirus.house.gov/ . In particular, a hearing on September 29, 2021 entitled, “Upgrading Public Health Infrastructure: The Need To Protect, Rebuild, And Strengthen State And Local Public Health Departments” addressed many of these issues. A video of the hearing is available at https://coronavirus.house.gov/subcommittee-activity/hearings/hybrid-hearing-upgrading-public-health-infrastructure-need-protect.
- Office of Idaho Governor Brad Little, All Four Living Former Idaho Governors support Gov. Little’s veto of emergency powers bills, (April 16, 2021). Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://gov.idaho.gov/pressrelease/all-four-living-former-idaho-governors-support-gov-littles-veto-of-emergency-powers-bills/.
- Office of Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, Veto Message: Statement of the Reasons for the Veto of Substitute Senate Bill 22 (March 23, 2021). Accessed on September 28, 2021 at https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/OHOOD/2021/03/23/file_attachments/1732100/SB%2022%20Veto%20Message.pdf.
- Ohio Legislative Service Commission, SB 22 Bill Analysis (March 10, 2021). Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/download?key=15961&format=pdf.
- Poll Results: Montanans Support Support Local Health Officers, Daily Montanan (April 6, 2021), https://dailymontanan.com/2021/04/06/poll-results-montanans-support-local-health-officers/.
Protections for Public Health Officials
- The Network for Public Health Law. 50-State Survey: Legal Protections for Public Health Officials. Accessed September 12 2021 at: https://www.networkforphl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/50-State-Survey-Legal-Protections-for-Public-Health-Officials.pdf.
Public Health Infrastructure
- Bipartisan Policy Center, Positioning America’s Public Health System for the Next Pandemic (June, 2021). Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://bipartisanpolicy.org/report/preparing-for-the-next-pandemic/.
- National Network of Public Health Institutes, Challenges and Opportunities for Strengthening the US Public Health Infrastructure ((May, 2021). Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://nnphi.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/NNPHI-E2A-Kresge-Report-Web.pdf.
- Trust for America’s Health, The Impact of Chronic Underfunding upon America’s Public Health System: Trends, Risks and Recommendations, 2021 (May, 2021). Accessed September 28, 2021 at https://www.tfah.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2021_PHFunding_Fnl.pdf.