Critical Public Health Issues in Cannabis Legalization
June 22, 2023 | 1 – 2:00 p.m. ET
While cannabis remains an illegal Schedule I substance under federal law, most states have legalized cannabis for medical use and a rapidly growing number have legalized it for adult-use. In this changing legal environment, there are critical public health issues that need to be addressed to help maximize benefits and minimize risks associated with legalization. This webinar will explore recent developments in cannabis law and policy with a focus on recent state legalization efforts, protecting medical cannabis patients, youth access and exposure to cannabis products, product safety, and hemp derived products.
By attending this webinar, you will:
- Obtain an overview of the current legal landscape of cannabis legalization at the state level.
- Learn about efforts to protect medical patient access to cannabis as markets open for recreational use.
- Gain an understanding of key policies focused on reducing youth exposure to cannabis.
- Learn about intoxicating hemp derived products and the public health challenges they present, as well as the federal law that has permitted their proliferation.
- Mathew Swinburne, J.D., Associate Director, Network for Public Health Law—Eastern Region Office