The Network is seeking a Public Health Senior Attorney to work with its Southeastern Region Office. This position is expected to be fully remote, with some domestic travel for conferences, meetings with partners, and internal Network meetings. While the position will work on a wide variety of public health law topics, it will primarily focus on advancing health and racial equity through law and policy. Projects may include research and analysis of racism and other forms of structural discrimination in law and policy, as well as strategies, frameworks, and tools that can be used or implemented by partners engaged in health and racial equity work. Applicants should demonstrate the commitment and skills to advance health and racial equity, as well as an understanding of practice-based needs of partners working in this space. This position should also expect to provide legal technical assistance across other topic areas as assigned.
As Senior Attorney, you will:
- Provide legal technical assistance. This includes conducting research and analysis, developing and providing training, and developing tools and educational materials. This also includes tracking and assessing relevant laws, identifying legal issues and trends, and identifying best practices and evidence-based solutions.
- Engage in outreach and relationship building. This includes building and maintaining strong relationships with a variety of partners including state and local health departments, representing the Network at meetings and conferences, and connecting partners with the resources and expertise needed to support their work. This also includes building relationships and capacity within the Network for health and racial equity work.
- Contribute to the management of regional assignments. This includes strategic planning, tracking legal technical assistance provided, contributing to identified contract and grant deliverables, documenting progress, supervising research assistants, law students, fellows, or interns, and other duties as assigned.
Attorneys in good standing of the Bar of a U.S. jurisdiction, with at least five years of experience in providing legal counsel or technical legal support in public health law or health law are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates will have relevant substantive experience in health equity and social justice. Experience in legislative analysis or government relations is also welcome. Related areas of law that demonstrate significant knowledge and practical experience regarding the organization and powers of government to protect the public and promote its well-being may be considered. These areas include, but are not limited to, municipal law, tribal law, environmental law, education law, administrative law, poverty law, and civil rights law.
Work will be primarily performed remotely and is eligible for 100% remote work. The starting salary for this position is $80,000/yr and is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal holiday, and sick time for full-time staff.
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim.
- Low-cost MetLife Dental and Vision.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care.
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance.
- Employer-paid Pension through TIAA.
- …and more!