Call for Abstracts
Submission Deadline: December 31, 2017
We are accepting abstracts for proposed panels and individual presentations for the 2018 National Public Health Law Conference. We encourage submission of abstracts related to this year's Conference theme, Health Justice: Empowering Public Health and Advancing Health Equity, as well as abstracts on other timely public health law topics.
Preference will be given to panel submissions, but individual abstracts will also be considered and ultimately be placed in a panel of related presentations. (See guidelines for panel submissions, below.)
Relevant areas for abstract submissions include, but are not limited to:
- Strengthening Public Health Protections. (Strengthening state and local health departments, service providers, and communities to provide foundational protections such as substance use prevention, communicable disease control, and food safety)
- Public Health Across Sectors. (Highlighting collaborative cross-sector initiatives critical to addressing social determinants of health and advancing health equity)
- Access to Care and Health Equity. (Identifying barriers and opportunities in access to health care services)
- Public Health Law Practice. (Critical legal issues and current local, state, and federal efforts)
- Trending Topics. (New, emerging, or late-breaking issues in public health law and policy)
Important abstract guidelines:
- The time allotment for presentation panels is usually 75 minutes, with 15-20 minutes per presenter and 15-30 minutes of Q/A after the panel.
- Abstracts are limited to 250 words.
- For individual abstract submissions: If we are unable to identify abstracts that fit with your topic, we will assign you to a panel on a related topic.
- Panels are groupings of individual abstracts. Panels are limited to three presenters, including the session lead and moderator. Panel proposals must adhere to the following procedure:
- One abstract must be submitted for each individual presentation with a unique title and abstract body. Do not include names or other identifying information in the body of the abstracts. During submission process, be sure to check the box for “Panel Submission.”
- If you are submitting as part of a panel, you will need to provide the names of proposed co-panelists and the titles of their abstracts.
Continuing Education Credit:
Continuing Legal Education and Continuing Medical Education credits will be available to conference attendees. When submitting an abstract, be sure to submit the required information to allow conference planners to seek the maximum number of credits for all sessions.
Each presenter, panelist, discussant, and/or faculty must provide:
1) An abstract free of trade and/or commercial product names;
2) At least one MEASURABLE SINGLE objective (“to understand” or “to learn” are not measurable objectives and compound objectives are not acceptable). Use ONLY the following Measurable Action Verbs: Explain, Demonstrate, Analyze, Formulate, Discuss, Compare, Differentiate, Describe, Name, Assess, Evaluate, Identify, Design, Define or List.
Note: We recommend that you first review the Online Abstract Submission Form, compile all required information in a separate document, then cut and paste information into the form as it cannot be saved if only partially completed.
Speaker Travel & Registration
The Public Health Law Conference does not cover airfare and lodging for speakers; however, discounted registration is provided. Upon notification of abstract proposal acceptance, the Public Health Law Conference Director will provide speakers specific next steps on how to register for the conference.
Questions about abstract process or submission can be directed to Megan Griest, email@example.com or (410) 706-0584.